A couple trying to conceive a baby but cannot do so has been diagnosed with infertility or any complications causing infertility. Such couples refer to a fertility specialist.
IVF is the definitive infertility treatment in the world, a New York, NY fertility specialist can help you with conceiving a baby without involving invasive methods.
Depending upon the cause, the specialist may perform different procedures. For example, in GIFT (gamete intrafallopian transfer), in this process, an egg is withdrawn from the ovary of a female. It is implanted in the fallopian tube with the man’s sperm. In this case, the fertilization takes place inside the female.
What is IVF and its procedure?
IVF is a sequence of procedures that involve the fertilization of eggs outside the female body in a test tube, and the fertilized egg, now called an embryo, is transferred back into the mother’s womb.
- preparing for an IVF cycle- testing and ovarian stimulation: the uterus and fallopian tube are thoroughly examined for any surgical repairs, evaluation of hormones, testing for both partners for STD’s and semen analysis of the male. The female takes drugs for ovarian stimulation for around ten days to produce multiple eggs for egg retrieval. These drugs change the body’s hormone production. When the estrogen levels peak, the specialist gives a trigger shot of hCG; this hCG works as natural LH ( luteinizing hormone ) and spikes the final maturation of the eggs. On average, 15-20 eggs are retrieved, and 2/3rd of them are viable for fertilization.
- Egg retrieval: after 34-36 hours from the trigger shot, the eggs are retrieved from the follicles. This process is done using a small needle entering through the top of the vagina into one ovary. The patient is anesthetized and feels no severe pain but might have minor cramps.
- Fertilization: matured eggs are identified and, within a few hours after the retrieval, are fertilized with sperm. Fertilization can occur in 2 ways: conventional insemination( the sperm and egg are kept together on a petri dish and are allowed to fertilize on their own ) or intracytoplasmic injection( a sperm is injected in the cytoplasm of the egg with a needle).
- Embryo transfer: transfer takes place 3-5 days after egg retrieval. The specialist chooses the healthiest embryo. After selecting the embryo, a thin catheter is used to transfer the embryo into the uterus. The embryo develops in the uterus and hatches and implants in the uterine lining.
- Pregnancy test: after 12 days of a transfer, a blood pregnancy test is performed. If the results are positive, the specialist performs more blood tests and ultrasounds to confirm the visibility of the pregnancy.
If you are planning for an IVF, the procedure steps mentioned above will give you an idea of how an IVF works.