There are usually two kinds of loans: secured loans, and unsecured loans. Unsecured loans are the ones which do not require any kind of security that is to be assured to the loan lender. However, a secured loan is the one where the potential borrower would have to secure a guarantee or security against which the lender will lend money. Usually, secured loans are the better choices among the two because they come with many large and small benefits like lower interest rates – but you need to put one of your valuable assets as collateral. But you can easily avail a homeowner loan without using your property as mortgage. So, how do these homeowner loans work? In this article, we will discuss:
- What is an unsecured homeowner loan?
- How does it work?
- Features of an unsecured homeowner loan
- Why should you apply for it?
- How to choose the right loan?
What is an unsecured homeowner loan?
A homeowner loan can be taken by those who have a home in their name. With an unsecured homeowner loan, people can get a loan for a certain amount of the total value of the property without having to guarantee their property to the lender. One needs to be above 18 years of age and also should have a regular income source for being eligible for the unsecured homeowner’s loan. How does an unsecured homeowner loan work?
Homeowner loans are very common these days as come with certain benefits, which are beneficial for the debtors. The borrower who has taken the loan has to repay it along with the interest charge in monthly instalments. The interested party should check the availability of the loan along with the market conditions before taking out an unsecured homeowner loan. They should also make sure that they can pay off the loan every month. Loans can be requested on different types of property like flats, bungalows, cottages, houses, etc. Some of the things that the lender usually takes into consideration are the age of the applicant, the loan term they can pay for, the value of the property, the income of the applicant and their credit record.
Also, the rate of interest for these loans are either fixed or a floating rate of interest depending on the lender. Variable-rates of interest can be a bit expensive as compared to the fixed rate of interest in which the repayment instalments remain the same throughout the tenure of the loan.
Some of the important features of homeowner loans
The value of the loan will be a certain percentage value of the entire property which is negotiable in terms.
- The tenure of the loan will be stretched from 1 year to 7 years, depending on the value of the loan.
- The interest rate is either fixed or floating.
- There will be a thorough affordability check considering income and credit score, and then a determination of eligibility of the homeowner loan.
Usually, there will be certain lenders who might take a certain amount as fees for finalizing the loan. Research can be done before selecting the lender who is not charging any extra fees.
Some of the fees which are included in the homeowner loan are:
- Legal Fees
- Broker Fees
- Disbursement Fees
- Valuation Fees
After a lender and loan have been selected, several steps are to be completed before the loan is finalized. Usually, these steps can take 4-5 weeks, after which the loan amount will be transferred to the debtor’s account.
- The lender will check the credit record and make sure that the loan can be paid.
- The lender will then check the current pay stubs to determine an income’s regularity.
- They will then check the registry of the house to confirm the ownership.
- Lastly, they will calculate the property’s value and equity before finalizing the loan amount.
After the loan is granted, the monthly EMI’s of the loan will need to be paid. If you are paying off the loan early, a certain early redemption or repayment charge would be administered. Homeowners can also take a payment holiday with the lender’s approval, but in such cases, the cost of the loan will increase.
Why should people apply for homeowner loans?
Some of the reasons why people take homeowner loans are mentioned below:
- Funding: The money that you receive can be used to fund a large expense or a smaller one, depending on your needs. Also, you can use it for your wedding expenses or to fund your dream holiday.
- Business: They can start a business with their loan and invest in it with the amount. This will make the repayment of the loan easier because the returns can be used from the business to repay the loan and can also successfully secure the future of your business by investing in it.
- Home improvement: Renovations and improvements can be made in the home because usually, these renovations are expensive. To increase the value of the home, timely renovations and improvements can be very helpful to enhance the overall property value.
How to select a homeowner loan?
Searching for the right kind of loan can be difficult as there are many options to choose from. Some of the steps that should be taken while choosing a loan are:
- First, decide the amount to be borrowed for this loan.
- The next step is to calculate the value of the property according to the current real estate trend and by calculating the mortgage value that is still outstanding.
- After this, decide the number of instalments that can be paid every month and according to that, decide the term of the loan.
- Next, keep records like house registry, credit report, etc. available because these are needed by the lender to make their decision.
- Lastly, talk to a broker for getting a market viable homeowner loan on the property
Amazing Secrets of Wealth Creation – The Desire Factor
The Different Types of VA Loans
Tips on Dreaming Your Wealth to Reality